Population (2006): 18 586
Surface area: 83,39 sq.km
Mayor: Michel Morin
The town of Rivière-du-Loup is the largest town of the MRC and is a central location for many services. It comprises 55 % of the territory’s population. Its health and education services, businesses and dynamic cultural life make it a major center of attraction for everyone in the western part of the Lower St. Lawrence region. Since the arrival of the railroad in 1859, its continued reinforcement as a major communication hub towards eastern Québec and the Maritime Provinces has allowed it to prosper up to the present day.
Built on a terraced setting, Rivière-du-Loup offers numerous vistas and panoramas of the river and its islands, almost anywhere within its territory. The town’s location is also marked by the rivière du Loup (Wolf river) which intersects its center and provides a spectacular waterfall of more than 30 meters. Last century the falls hydraulic potential was harvested allowing the introduction of many industries. Today, the river and its waterfall are at the heart of one of the largest and most beautiful urban parks in Québec, the parc des Chutes.
Like its neighbors, Cacouna and Notre-Dame-du-Portage, Rivière-du-Loup was frequented for a long time by rich vacationers from the Canadian upper class. Several sections of the town, notably those of la pointe and Vieux-Saint-Patrice, have preserved historic buildings from that period and an exceptional landscape