Population (2006): 62
Surface area: 11,18 sq.km
Mayor: Gilbert Delage
Situated on Ile-Verte (Green Island), the municipality of Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs has a rich architectural heritage and an authentic rural landscape which earns it a growing regard from outside of the region. This island in the St. Lawrence is located 2 km from the south shore, just in front of the municipality of Isle-Verte. On the north side of the island, facing the mouth of the Saguenay River stands the Ile-Verte lighthouse, the oldest building in the Rivière-du-Loup MRC. Built between 1806 and 1809 and still active, it is one of the first lighthouses built in Canada.
With agriculture having practically disappeared from the island, tourism remains the municipality’s only noteworthy economic activity. It has developed to such an extent as a vacation destination that the resident population easily more than quadruples during the summer season. A ferry links the island to dry land during the summer, while in the winter months, an ice-bridge or helicopter are the only ways to get to or from the island.