Situated in the heart of the Lower St. Lawrence administrative region, the Rivière-du-Loup MRC (RCM, Regional County Municipalities) is in a favored geographical position. It is the hub for Eastern Canada’s principal highways. It is halfway between Montréal and Gaspé, near New Brunswick, the state of Maine, and on the St. Lawrence River’s northern shore, the Charlevoix, Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean and South Shore regions.
- There are thirteen municipalities, one of them an urban center.
- The territory covers a surface area of 1,300 square kilometers.
- Its population rose to 34,375 in 2011, a higher growth percentage than that of the province itself during a five-year period.
- Within the Lower St. Lawrence region, it is a regional center of important services.
- It offers a vast choice of sports and cultural activities.